And I'm not talking about people with real cameras. I'm talking about three middle age friends, in NY, celebrating their 25 year, silver anniversary together.
If anyone knows much about me and Lainie, you might remember that back in our youth we were quite the groupies. We managed to get back stage, on tour buses, under the Omni to score free tickets and locate certain celebrity hotels all without being invited or told where to go. We just did.
I guess when you are between the ages of 18 and 23, that's all understandable, but we're 42 now and neither age nor time has stopped us.
The celebrity fun began last Wednesday when we had just stepped out of the taxi after arriving at the hotel. Lainie, being the eagle eye she is, noticed a swarm of paps outside the side of the theater where The Little Mermaid was playing. Next thing I know I'm dragging suitcases across the road to assume to the lookout post. Not having a ladder like some prepared photographers all I could do was hope that Lainie or Sonya would get the money shot of the mystery celeb. Who could it be? Madonna? Perhaps Regis Philbin? Nope, Katie Holmes and Suri Cruise.
Okay, we're off to a good start.
Next up on the celebrity sighting, Michael Knight. He has played Tad Martin on All My Children for like forever. Sonya, still watching the soaps was thrilled. We tried to get across 5th Avenue to film him but about 50 cops cars came screaming up the road giving us all a chill. It really made us hope that another bad tragedy wasn't happening downtown somewhere.
Thursday night we headed to Madison Square Garden to see the B-52's and the Police. Let me just say, MSG is a dump and they need to level that facility and start over. The only thing we saw there was the dried vomit on our seats and the five different people they sent to try and solve the problem. The concert turned out to be great and that's a good thing because I thought I was coming unglued. Just ask Gary. From all the texting I was doing I think he thought he might have to fly to NY to rescue me.
Friday night we sat onstage at our favorite musical Spring Awakening. What an amazing experience to be right in the action and to sit with the actors. We got to talk with some 0f the ensemble members during intermission and this is where it gets really fun and I guess a bit strange for the old ladies- when we lurked outside the the stage door, got autographs, took pictures and talked to the actors.
Oh, and we also saw Bruce Springsteen, his wife and about four or so kids exiting the theater when we were stage dooring. Lainie ran out after him to get a good picture, but his wife, being the bad guy, told everyone "no" - that they had to go. I just got a side shot.
Anyway, here are my picture of me with some of the cast including one member from Atlanta - born in Marietta, now living in the Roswell/Alpharetta area. He represented well.
I'm going to go ahead and post this because my computer is doing screwy things. I'll post the pictures separate.
It's summer, or is it?
12 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment